Start Priority the dating of scientific names in ornithology

Priority the dating of scientific names in ornithology

In 1944 the government had passed the Housing (Temporary Accomodation) Act which aimed to replace the war damaged housing stock and introduce returning service men to work in the construction industry.

The old Suffolk Regiment Training Centre had been merged with the Beds and Herts ITC in July, 1942, and based in Bury.

The people had changed and a way of life had disappeared. Rationing continued, families were still separated in many cases, and homes were destroyed.

Long term issues replaced the day to day survival of the war, and the economy was totally geared to munitions production and had to be turned around.

Number 622 Squadron had disbanded at RAF Mildenhall in August 1945 and been replaced by 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron, who would remain here until August 1946.

The base remained active, but on 26th May, 1946, the second open day since the end of the war was held.

The local air training squadron had its gliding school moved here from Westley, although it had been used for gliding purposes for several years as an adjunct to Westley.

Tuddenham closed for flying in November 1946, but would return to duty in 1954.

In September 1946 Stradishall reverted to 3 Group and five squadrons of Lancasters were based here until February 1949.